Detail view of timber arched door entry into Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church from Elizabeth Street, Brisbane

De Gruchy, Graham Francis. Detail view of timber arched door entry into Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church from Elizabeth Street, Brisbane.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collections: UQ Library - Digitised Materials - open access
Art Forms in Brisbane
 
Attached Files
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Slide_022.tif   image/tiff 52.80MB 3


Title Detail view of timber arched door entry into Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church from Elizabeth Street, Brisbane
Alternative Title Entry into Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church
Date of construction 1864-1922
Date photo taken 1981
Date scanned 2012-11-26
Architect Suter, Richard George, 1827-1894
Photographer De Gruchy, Graham Francis
Location 249 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
Open Access Status Other
Category Religious buildings
Subcategory Churches
Cathedrals
Period Victorian (1840-1890)
Style English Gothic Revivial
Academic Gothic
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Timber
Sandstone
porphyry
Concrete
Architectural Features Arched doors
Sandstone walls
Steps
Stepped Construction
Timber battens
Entrances
Surrounding Features Plants
Buildings, structures and establishments
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Graham Francis De Gruchy.
References Art Forms in Brisbane C
Additional Notes 'This simple Gothic building was built to an 1842 design supplied to Archbishop Polding by the eminent English architect, Auguste Welby Pugin.3 It was the principal Catholic church in Brisbane until the new Cathedral was opened alongside it in May 1874.4 Because of the soft sandstone used in its construction, the original belfry had crumbled away even by the late 1860s, and the building has several times been threatened with demolition. It has been used variously as a school room, church offices and for storage over the period of a more than a century, and was restored in 1995-99 as a diocesan shrine of St Mary of the Cross (MacKillop).'http://www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/BrisbaneRCCath.html
 
Created: Fri, 01 Feb 2013, 15:41:18 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of School of Architecture  -  Detailed History
Preview/Stream (click the image for a higher quality version)
Datastream Preview