Rear view towards south eastern facade of Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church with palm trees in foreground, Elizabeth Street, Brisbane

De Gruchy, Graham Francis. Rear view towards south eastern facade of Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church with palm trees in foreground, Elizabeth Street, Brisbane.

Document type: Digilib Image
Collections: UQ Library - Digitised Materials - open access
Art Forms in Brisbane
 
Attached Files
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Slide_013.tif   image/tiff 52.80MB 4


Title Rear view towards south eastern facade of Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church with palm trees in foreground, Elizabeth Street, Brisbane
Alternative Title Saint Stephen's Roman Catholic Church, Cathedral of Saint Stephen, Saint Stephen's Cathedral, The Pugin Chapel, Saint Stephen's Old Catholic Cathedral
Date of construction 1864-1922
Date photo taken 1981
Date scanned 2012-11-26
Architect Suter, Richard George, 1827-1894
Photographer De Gruchy, Graham Francis
Contributor Quinn, James (Bishop)
Location 249 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
Open Access Status Other
Category Religious buildings
Subcategory Churches
Cathedrals
Period Victorian (1840-1890)
Style English Gothic Revivial
Academic Gothic
Condition Renovated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Sandstone
porphyry
Timber
Iron
Architectural Features Gable roofs
Timber shingles
Chimneys
Arched windows
Pilasters
Interior Features Seating
Furniture
Timber floors
Organs
Surrounding Features Palm trees
Grass
Plants
Trees
Footpaths
Buildings, structures and establishments
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Graham Francis De Gruchy.
References Art Forms in Brisbane C
Additional Notes 'In 1859, with the appointment of Bishop James Quinn, Brisbane became a diocese and the church a cathedral. When the new cathedral was opened in 1874 this church became a school room. During the past century it was used for school, church offices and storage, and was several times threatened with demolition. Based on painstaking historical research and heritage reports, the bell tower has been rebuilt, the stone tracery in the windows reconstructed, and a timber shingle roof reinstated. In fact, it has been enhanced with treasures our ancestors could not have imagined: the West window is now filled with magnificent stained glass depicting Christ in glory and the story of St Stephen. The building will take its place in the cathedral precinct which serves as an oasis for shoppers and workers in the midst of a busy city. The building now provides the cathedral with a small-scale worship space.'http://www.cathedralofststephen.org.au/chapel.htm
 
Created: Fri, 01 Feb 2013, 15:41:18 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of School of Architecture  -  Detailed History
Preview/Stream (click the image for a higher quality version)
Datastream Preview