The drawing room at 120 Mains Street, Glasgow

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. The drawing room at 120 Mains Street, Glasgow.

 
Attached Files
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Slide_002.tif   image/tiff 54.18MB 159


Title The drawing room at 120 Mains Street, Glasgow
Alternative Title Furnishings and decoration of the drawing room at 120 Mains Street, Glasgow
Abstract/Summary Designed collaboratively by Mackintosh and his wife Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh, the drawing room at 120 Mains Street is among the first of Mackintosh's white interiors. The soon to be married couple were not able to carry out any structural alterations on the flat, but a number of non-structural strategies were employed to adjust the proportions of this room. Mains Street was furnished entirely by pieces of Mackintosh's design including the white painted desk and chair to the right of this image. The end of the mantel to the fireplace can just be seen on the left.
Date of construction 1900
Date photo taken 2000
Date scanned 2012-11-26
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location 120 Mains Street
Glasgow
Scotland
United Kingdom
Open Access Status Other
Category Dwellings
Subcategory Flats
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Art nouveau
Condition Original
Building Materials Glass
Timber
Architectural Features Cornices
Lamps
Interior Features Artwork
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger
References Wilhide, Elizabeth. 'The Mackintosh Style'. London: Pavilion Books Limited, 1998.
Additional Notes Mackintosh and his wife lived at Mains Street until 1906 when they bought a house at Hillhead. Many of the original furnishings and fittings designed for Mains Street were reinstalled in the Hillhead house at 6 Florentine Terrace (now 78 Southpark Avenue). The furniture and fittings from the Southpark Avenue house are now displayed in a careful reconstruction at The Mackintosh House, part of the Hunterian Gallery.
 
Created: Tue, 08 Jan 2013, 11:51:02 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Research Information Service  -  Detailed History
Preview/Stream (click the image for a higher quality version)
Datastream Preview