Ambulance Station, Ravenswood

Keniger, Michael, 1947-. Ambulance Station, Ravenswood.

Attached Files
Name Description MIMEType Size Downloads
Click to show the corresponding preview Ravenswood_658.tif   Ravenswood_658.tif image/tiff 25.56MB 115

Title Ambulance Station, Ravenswood
Abstract/Summary The original ambulance centre was established in Macrossan Street in 1902. In 1904, the current building was constructed close to the bank of Elphinstone Creek. It was given the date of the first station. Many accidents occurred in early mines and the erratic water supply of many mining towns caused frequent outbreaks of serious illness. The Ambulance Station therefore provided an essential service. Its early establishment and subsequent expanded medical use when the population reduced and the hospital closed illustrates a pattern of expansion and decline common to many mining towns. The building underwent considerable repair and refurbishment in the 1990s and continues to provide medical services for the community through clinics. Information taken from: Environmental Protection Agency, 2006, retrieved 5 October 2008, from
Date of construction 1904
Date photo taken 1986
Date scanned 2006-09-04
Publisher The University of Queensland Library
Photographer Keniger, Michael, 1947-
Location Deighton Street, Ravenswood, Queensland
Open Access Status Other
Category Health
Subcategory Ambulance stations
Period Federation (1890-1915)
Style Free classical
Condition Deteriorated
Structural Systems & Elements Masonry construction
Building Materials Rendered brick
Corrugated iron
Architectural Features Single-storey
Double doors
Sash windows
Surrounding Features Creeks
Rights Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael Keniger.
Additional Notes Ravenswood is about 130km south-west of Townsville. It developed as the first major mining town in north Queensland after the discovery of gold there in 1868. There were several mining booms in the area over the next few decades. However, mining had ceased by the end of the First World War. In the 1920s, buildings as well as people left Ravenswood, as some timber buildings were relocated in other towns. In the 1980s the whole town was listed by the Australian Heritage Commission and the National Trust of Queensland. Today Ravenswood is in a mining landscape, which consists of disturbed ground with scattered ruins and mullock heaps. It has population of around 100 who service the surrounding area and cater for the growing tourism industry.
Created: Mon, 06 Oct 2008, 12:51:48 EST by Cathy Bauer on behalf of Architecture and Music Library  -  Detailed History
Preview/Stream (click the image for a higher quality version)
Datastream Preview