Research and private study only. Not to be reproduced without prior written permission. Rights holder: Michael keniger
Clermont is located 106 km north of Emerald and 760 km north of Brisbane, Queensland. In 1845 Ludwig Leichhardt travelled through the area and named the volcanic cones in the area Peak Range. Large tracts of land were claimed by Charles and William Archer in the 1850s for grazing sheep. After discoveries of gold (1861) and copper (1862) in the area, Clermont became the first inland settlement north of the Tropic of Capricorn. Clermont was gazetted as a town in 1864. Located on a flood plain between a lagoon and Sandy Creek, Clermont was affected by several devastating floods between 1870 and 1916. The lower part of the town was never rebuilt after the ‘Big Flood’ of 1916, in which 65 lives were lost, and the settlement was shifted to higher ground. Clermont is often referred to as ‘The Town that Moved’ and ‘The Shifting Town’.